European Alliance Against Depression (EAAD)
The European Alliance Against Depression (EAAD; www.eaad.eu) is an international network of experts with the aim to promote better care of patients with depression as well as to prevent suicidal behavior by initiating regional community-based 4-level-intervention programs in Europe. It has been co-funded within the EC Public Health Program until 2008. Since 2008 it is established as an independent research association. More than 100 regional alliances against depression have already been implemented in and outside of Europe. Research expertise covers the implementation and evaluation of community-based intervention programs in the field of depression and suicide prevention as well as the dissemination of research results. Additionally EAAD promotes young researchers and has an established network of international researchers, experts, clinicians, stakeholders, patient organizations and platforms.
Prof. Ulrich Hegerl, PhD
- Professor and director of the Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy at the University of Leipzig
- Head of the former German Research Network on Depression and Suicidality
- International expert in depression research and suicide prevention and has coordinated several large EU-funded projects on these topics
- Published more than 400 peer-reviewed papers.
- Received among others the “European Health Award” (1st prize) for the project “European Alliance Against Depression.”
Research focus: Neurobiology, the treatment and the prevention of affective disorders.
Prof. Dr. Ella Arensman, MSc, PhD
- Director of Research with the National Suicide Research Foundation (NSRF) and Adjunct Professor with the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College Cork, Ireland.
- Currently President of the International Association for Suicide Prevention (IASP).
- Vice-President of the European Alliance Against Depression (EAAD)
- Over the last 25 years, she has been involved in numerous international research consortia on depression and suicidal behaviour, with a particular emphasis on risk and protective factors associated with suicide and self-harm, and effectiveness of suicide prevention programmes.
- Published extensively in scientific peer reviewed journals, and fulfils an advisory role on a wide range of national and international steering groups and editorial boards.
Dr. Victor Pérez Sola, PhD
- Researcher and psychiatrist in the Sant Pau Hospital of Barcelona and Post-Doc Fellowship in the Research Institute of Sant Pau
- Director of the Neuropsychiatric and Addiction Institute at the Hospital del Mar
- Coordinating the affective disorders area from the CIBERSAM and leading the national chapter of the European Alliance Against Depression since 2004
- Conducted intensive research recently in the area of psychopharmacology and biological basis of psychosis and affective disorders
- Published numerous national and international papers on the mechanism of action of psychotropic drugs, neuroimaging and genetics.
Dr. Elisabeth Kohls, PhD
- Coordinating EAAD activities and additional EU research projects in the field of depression and suicide research at the Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy at the University of Leipzig
- Obtained her PhD in the field of psychotherapy research.